The purpose of Ministry Matters is to provide an opportunity for the leaders of Timothy to share what is happening in their ministry areas. Each Friday, Ministry Matters is emailed to Timothy’s executive board, elders, staff, commission leaders and other lay leaders. If you wish to include something, please email it to Diane Mayfield (email@example.com) by 6am Thursday. Feel free to share this document as you wish.
From School Board—Melissa Casper, Secretary
School Board met in executive session on May 19 with Rachel Pierce, Kate Force, Dave MacLean, Karl Zinke, Melissa Casper and Lois Domsch attending. Dave opened the meeting with prayer.
It was moved, seconded and carried to approve the March meeting minutes and the May 5 meeting minutes.
The board went into executive session to discuss and formalize the performance reviews for the Director of Development and School Administrator. Next steps include seeking feedback and submitting to Executive Board. Dave and Rachel will schedule follow-up meetings with Ken and Steve to present the final performance reviews and to discuss goals for the 2019-2020 school year. Rachel will submit the final reviews to the Executive Board following these meetings.
Next School Board meeting is July 14, 10:45am, Room 302, R.D. Mize. Dave will lead the devotion
Email Action since May 19 meeting: It was moved, seconded and carried to hire Kathy Romo to teach Spanish as a part-time teacher, hourly wages and hours as detailed by the school administrator, for the 2019-2020 school year.
From School Board—Melissa Casper, Secretary
School Board met on July 14 with Rachel Pierce, Dave MacLean, Karl Zinke, Lois Domsch, Kate Force, Trent Yager, Melissa Casper, Ken Holland, Mary Beth Self, Diane Mayfield and Angie Mundt attending. Rachel opened the meeting with a devotion and prayer.
Trent Yager was introduced as a new member, completing the unexpired term of Nathan Parker.
The May executive session minutes will be distributed via email for approval.
The meeting went into Executive Session with Acting President Diane Mayfield and School Administrator Ken Holland to discuss personnel issue.
ECC Director Report—Mary Beth Self
- In September 2018. 98 students: in May 2019, 113 students
- Summer 2018: 12 part-time, 40 full-time
- Fall/Spring 2018-2019 (to date): 40 full-time, 35 part-time
- ECC will complete same accreditation process as TLS but is applying separately from TLS.
- Approval of 5-year business plan for Executive Board–Mary Beth presented the 5-year plan which included 2 full-time teachers. After discussion and review, it was moved, seconded and carried to submit this plan to the Executive Board for approval.
- Hiring part-time ECC teacher for Wyatt–If enrollment warrants a second pre-school classroom at Wyatt, School Administrator Ken Holland recommended the position be filled by Ronda Krekel. Ken provided the board with the position factors and salary figures. It was moved, seconded and carried to hire Ronda Krekel as a part-time LCMS-rostered ECC teacher for the 2019-2020 school year, pending fulfillment of enrollment goals.
- 2019-2020 ECC Parent Handbook—Mary Beth reviewed updates to the Parent Handbook. Rachel and Angie indicated that the website links housing the handbook should be included to fulfill compliance requirements from the school accrediting body.
- 2019-2020 ECC Staff Handbook—Mary Beth reviewed updates to the Staff Handbook. Proposed changes to the Time Off policy were discussed and wording changes recommended. Rachel and Angie indicated that this handbook also needs to be available online to fulfill compliance requirements from the school accrediting body.
School Administrator Report—Ken Holland
- Enrollment: K-8 73 full-time students, 7 home-schooled students
- Drug-Testing Policy: Ken distributed the current policy and the proposed new policy for review. It was moved, seconded and carried to present this policy to the Executive Board for further review.
- TLS Scholarship Process: Ken provided an information sheet for collecting information for need-based students. He presented the board with a possible online option for collecting info and keeping it anonymous, but there is a $35 cost to the applicant to use this product. After discussing the current process, the board decided to continue with the current method but formalize the email structure so that the same anonymous information is disseminated to the scholarship committee for each application. Trent agreed to join Kate and Karl on the scholarship committee.
- TLS 2019-2020 Parent Handbook: Ken reviewed the updates to the Parent Handbook. Angie and Rachel indicated that this handbook needs to be included with website links of where the document is online to fulfill compliance requirements from our school accrediting body. It was moved, seconded and carried to approved the updated handbooks (ECC Parent, ECC Staff, and TLS Parent) pending the addition of the website information.
Director of Development Report—Steve Patton.
- Steve emailed his report to the board since he was unable to attend. There were no questions or discussion concerning his report.
Marketing Committee Update: Kate indicated that the committee had not met since previous board meeting.
- TLS Accreditation Process, Committee Assignments and Updates: Ken asked if all board members had been contacted regarding invitations to sit on the accreditation boards. All school board members have been contacted and assigned. Many committees have already begun to meet. Timeline of the accreditation process was presented, and the board was informed that the TLS accreditation report will be submitted one month prior to the scheduled accreditation visit.
- Accreditation To-Do’s: Rachel and Angie updated the board on the work of the accreditation Governance committee, and Rachel provided the board with a list of prioritized items the school board is responsible to provide, the most pressing of which is the School Board Policy Handbook. The board will discuss this in more depth at the next school board meeting. All written and communication references to the board should be School Board rather than Board of Education. A quick discussion/reminder was repeated that the School Board orientation is shifting from a management focus to a policy focus. The board asked Angie (in her role as an accreditation assessor) if other Lutheran churches give the School Board president and school administrator an ex-facto seat on the Church Council or Executive Board. The board also asked Ken to reach out to other school administrators to inquire about their governance structure presence.
- Remaining 2019 School Board meetings: The board set remaining 2019 meetings for the first Sunday of each month, except Sept., in order to meet prior to the Executive Board meetings on the second Monday of each month. School Board will meet at 10:45am in Room 302 on Aug. 4, Sept. 8, Oct. 6, Nov. 3, and Dec. 1. Dave will lead the devotion on Aug. 4.
- Addendum to July 14 minutes: It was moved, seconded and carried to send its recommendation for Director of Development salary to the Executive Board for review.
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Aug. 2-3—Rummage Sale, 8am-6pm Fri, 8am-noon Sat, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize
Aug. 4—School Board meeting, 10:45am, Room 302, R.D. Mize
Aug. 5—GO Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 103, R.D. Mize
Aug. 6-27 (Tuesdays)—Care 201 Congregational Care Ministry, 6:30-8:30pm, Room 501, R.D. Mize
Aug. 12—Joint Executive Board/Elected Elders meeting, 6pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
Aug. 12—Executive Board meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
Aug. 12—Elected Elders meeting, 7pm, Room 303, R.D. Mize
Aug. 12—TLS New Student Orientation, 7pm, Wyatt
Aug. 15—R.D. Mize ECC Back-to-School Night, 7pm
Aug. 19—TLS Back-to-School Night, 6:30pm
Aug. 19—Wyatt ECC Back-to-School Night, 7pm
Aug. 20—TLS First Day of School
Aug. 22—Hillcrest Gala & Auction, Arrowhead Stadium
Aug. 24—LWML Brunch & Program, 9-11am, Fellowship Hall, R.D. Mize
Aug. 24-25—Kindergarten Blessing, all services
Aug. 26—GO Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 103, R.D. Mize
Aug. 26—GATHER Commission meeting, 6pm, Fellowship Hall, R.D. Mize
Aug. 26—GIVE Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 303, R.D. Mize
Aug. 26—GROW Commission meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
Sept. 3-Nov. 19 (Tuesdays)—Care 301 Stephen Ministry training, 6:30-8:30pm, Room 501, R.D. Mize
Sept. 4—Ice Cream Social, 6-7:30pm, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize
Sept. 7—WOH Friends’ Café, 9:30-11am, Inklings’ Book & Coffee Shoppe, Downtown Blue Springs
Sept. 7-8—Backpack Blessing, all services
Sept. 8—School Board meeting, 10:45am, Room 302, R.D. Mize
Sept. 9—EB Meeting, 6pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Sept. 10—Elected Elders meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Sept. 13-15—Blue Springs Fall Fun Fest (steak burger booth), Downtown Blue Springs
Sept.21—3rd Annual J.R. Wiles Memorial Kids Fishing Derby, James A. Reed Conservation Area