The purpose of Ministry Matters is to provide an opportunity for the leaders of Timothy to share what is happening in their ministry areas. Each Friday, Ministry Matters is emailed to Timothy’s executive board, elders, staff, commission leaders and other lay leaders. If you wish to include something, please email it to Diane Mayfield (email@example.com) by 6am Thursday. Feel free to share this document as you wish.
From GIVE Commission—Pam Sbisa, Commission Leader
GIVE Commission met on June 24 with Pam Sbisa, Tary Krahenbuhl, Chris Hruska, Nancy Nowiszewski and Diane Mayfield attending. Pam opened the meeting with prayer.
Nancy shared her June Care Ministry Report:
- 14th Annual Adam’s Army Blood Drive held on June 2; 60 usable units were collected (twice what average blood drive produces). In addition to a free commemorative y-shirt, donors were treated to lunch prepared by Mary Reed and had their name entered into a drawing for an assortment of prizes purchased with a Thrivent grant.
- Compassionate Care Our resident has moved to a rental property in BS; I have been publicizing the opening to Timothy and other local churches, but do not have a strong candidate at this time. We were thankful for the assistance of three Timothy families who helped with the latest resident’s move over Memorial Day Weekend.
- GriefShare continues through Sept. 19. With both facilitators now coping with cancer, we are thankful for the leadership of Pam Lund and Courtney Dryer. Roxanne Kerwood hopes to return to a more active role either in Aug. or Sept. Pam will take Stephen Ministry training in the fall.
- DivorceCare has completed current set of 13 sessions; next session begins Sept. 16 and runs weekly for 13 sessions plus an additional session for Surviving the Holidays.
- Cancer Companions continues to have very low attendance; I will talk with a CC staffer on Wednesday for suggestions on increasing attendance. The commission will invite Esther Maxwell and David Escobar to share experiences as CC leaders at the Sept. commission meeting.
- Hillcrest Transitional Housing Making plans to promote the Aug. 22 gala/auction. Timothy will sponsor a table of 8 seats. We already have a possible 8 tickets sold; we will continue to take orders and hopefully have a second table. We will also collect gift baskets for the silent auction.
Five Timothy members attended the June 23 graduation, with our apartment resident graduating along with two other women. Jennifer will begin the Hillcrest graduate program in July; she recently received a promotion with Comprehensive Mental Health Services.
I attended the sponsor meeting on June 18 with Dan Sbisa and my husband Tom. The next sponsor meeting is in Oct. at the Kansas City, KS location.
- Care Training:
- June 22 Training with the elders, included their new responsibility to be available after worship services where they serve for people to approach with care concerns. 17 attended. I shared the new Care Connection Card that they will use when meeting worshippers after the services. Elders who did not attend the training are encouraged to attend one of the July workshops.
- Care 101 Tools for Caring , July 24 (6:30-8:30pm) and Sat. July 24 (10am-noon); both in Room 302 (Fireplace Room). Will include homeless kit—may have an “assembly day”)
- Care 201 Congregational Care Ministry Tuesdays Aug. 6-27 (6:30-8:30pm); Room 501, R.D. Mize.
- Care 301 Stephen Ministry We are recruiting this summer for the next class which will be offered Sept. 3 – Nov. 19, with commissioning on Nov. 23.
- Care Ministry Postcard The commission reviewed and approved this postcard; to be distributed in late July to area churches and agencies.
- Tithe Update Nancy shared about the work of Mission Central in Iowa. Her discussion with a staff member there provided information about a We Care program which she applied to a possible postcard about Timothy care ministries.
- Blue Springs Chamber of Commerce Nancy attended a Welcome to Chamber 101 workshop earlier in June, coming away with valuable information and interesting opportunities for TLM and TLS/ECC to pursue through the Chamber.
Live Well 2020 Plans Date is March 7. Nancy talked with Chiefs personnel about the possibility of the “Play 60” program participating at this event. It is a NFL program in which kids are encouraged to be active for 60 minutes daily and eat well.
Fall-O-Ween Jesus Coordinated by GATHER Commission, date is Oct. 26, 2019. GIVE Commission plans to collect gloves/mittens and hats at this event. Pam will contact Melissa Struewe and attend the next planning meeting on Aug. 5.
Next Commission Meeting will be July 29 (date change), 6pm, Room 303, R.D. Mize.
From GROW Commission—Mary Low, Secretary
GROW Commission met on June 24 with Diane Mayfield, Richard Pirch, Ryan Kuecker, Dawn Twenter and Rod Lindemann attending. Rod opened the meeting with prayer.
- VBS: July 15-19. Dawn shared that overall VBS plans are in good shape. Funding & supplies from the congregation has been generous. Thrivent offered to provide ice cream sandwiches for everyone at the Kickoff event on July 14. Volunteers are still needed to help at the Carnival and to teach during the week. There is an online signup for both on the church website: timothylutheran.com.
- Crosswalk: Dawn plans to continue leading Crosswalk during the coming year, but hopes to have a co-chair to train for assuming leadership of Crosswalk in the future. On Sept. 4, there will be an Ice Cream Social, organized by GATHER Commission, to kickoff fall ministries, such as Crosswalk, Confirmation, adult choirs, and other ministries that wish to publicize opportunities for growth and participation.
- Faith Roots: No report. All is going smoothly.
- Kindergarten Blessing: 24-25 in worship.
- Backpack Blessing: 7-8 in worship.
- Confirmation: Pastor John is busy preparing video lessons for the upcoming year.
- Confirmation Prayer Pals: Mary Low plans to lead this again for the coming year. She will begin recruiting in early August.
- National Youth Gathering: This event is fully funded thanks to the congregation as well as outside sponsors. Timothy’s youth were selected to participate in a Servant Event at the Gathering which is an honor. During June, the youth and adult sponsors have met on several occasions for Bible Study and fellowship as they prepare for the trip.
- Senior High Youth: Nathan Burns is busy planning Bible Studies and youth events for this fall.
- Young Adults: Generally ages 18-35. This group offers a pastor-led Bible Study semi-monthly. There is much interest, but need more follow-through to grow the group.
- Adult Bible Studies: Ryan Kuecker suggested contacting the leaders of current Bible Studies to see what they are planning for the fall. Also, the commission would like suggestions from the leaders about ways to increase participation. Mary Reed will contact the leaders.
- College-Age Students: The commission would like to develop a support team to focus on Timothy’s college-age members, either at college, trade school or other educational training. Faith Lutheran Church in Jefferson City has such a program in place. Mary Reed will share ore about this at our July meeting.
- Faith & Family Night at the K: July 27
- Ice Cream Social: 4
- Fall-O-Ween Jesus: 26
- Live Well Community Event: 7, 2020
Next Meeting: July 22, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize. Mary Reed will contact a representative of the Senior Adults ministry about a possible ministry report. Ryan Kuecker will contact a representative of the Youth Adults ministry to do the same.
Ryan closed the meeting with prayer.
From GO Commission—Carol Windler, Secretary
GO Commission met on June 24 with Kathy Wildschuetz, Carol and Charlie Cronkhite, and Carol Windler attending.
Fall-O-Ween Jesus: This event will be Oct. 26, noon-5pm, at Wyatt. The GO Commission is responsible for the Music Festival/Battle of the Bands portion of the event.
- Charlie will check with Pastor Brad Zerkel about applying for Plus One money to help with funding.
- Kathy will follow-up with Kent and/or Nathan Burns to determine the cost of an outdoor stage setup and sound system.
- Kathy will compose a list of local churches who might have a praise team.
- After the praise team contact for each church is determined, an email will be sent to confirm their interest in participating.
- Carol Windler will draft the email.
Everyone His Witness: Carol Windler was asked to contact Mary Reed, GROW Commission Leader, to ask if GROW Commission is interested in joining GO to offer and facilitate a workshop for Timothy, focusing on Lutheran witnessing sometime in 2020. A copy of the DVD videos and workbook will be made available to GROW for previewing.
Next Meeting: No meeting in July. Next meeting is Aug. 5, 6pm, Room 103, R.D. Mize.
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
June 30—Special Voters’ Assembly Meeting, 11:45am, Auditorium, Wyatt
July 6-7—Pick-up dates for Faith & Family Night at the K tickets, weekend services, both campuses
July 8—Executive Board meeting, 6pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
July 11-15—National Youth Gathering, Minneapolis, MN
July 14—School Board meeting, 10:45am, Room 302, R.D. Mize
July 14—VBS Kickoff, 4:30-6pm, R.D. Mize
July 15-19—VBS Week, 9am-noon, R.D. Mize
July 21—VBS Celebration Service, 10:30am, Wyatt
July 22—GATHER Commission meeting, 6pm, Fellowship Hall, R.D. Mize
July 22—GIVE Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 303, R.D. Mize
July 22—GROW Commission meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
July 24—Care 101 Tools for Caring training, 6:30-8:30pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize
July 27—Care 101 Tools for Caring training, 10am-noon, Room 302, R.D. Mize
July 27—Faith & Family Night at the K, 6:15pm, Kauffman Stadium
July 28-30—Rummage Sale Drop-off, 8am-7pm, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize
Aug. 1-3—Rummage Sale, 8am-6pm Thurs. & Fri., 8am-noon Sat., Family Life Center, R.D. Mize
Aug. 5—GO Commission Meeting, 6pm, Room 103, R.D. Mize
Aug. 6—27 (Tuesdays) Care 201 Congregational Care Ministry, 6:30-8:30pm, Room 501, R.D. Mize
Aug. 12—New Student Orientation, 7pm, Wyatt
Aug. 19—Back-to-School Night, 6:30pm, Wyatt
Aug. 20—First Day of School & Chapel, Wyatt
Aug. 22—Hillcrest Gala & Auction
Aug. 24-25—Kindergarten Blessing, all services
Sept. 3-Nov. 19 (Tuesdays)—Care 301 Stephen Ministry training
Sept. 4—Ice Cream Social, 6pm, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize
Sept. 7-8—Backpack Blessing, all services
Sept. 13-15—Blue Springs Fall Fun Fest (steak burger booth), Downtown BS
Sept. 21—J.R. Wiles Memorial Kids Fishing Derby, James A. Reed Conservation Area