The purpose of Ministry Matters is to provide an opportunity for the leaders of Timothy to share what is happening in their ministry areas. Each Friday, Ministry Matters is emailed to Timothy’s executive board, elders, staff, commission leaders and other lay leaders. If you wish to include something, please email it to Diane Mayfield (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 8am Thursday. Feel free to share this document as you wish.
From GO Commission—Carol Windler, Secretary
GO Commission met on Oct. 29 with Charlie & Carol Cronkhite, Kathy Wildschuets, Courtney Dryer and Pastor John attending.
Missions: Courtney shared the latest Apple of the His Eye newsletter. Charlie and Courtney reported on proposed changes for the 2019 tithe budget, adding four new ministries, increasing two current ministries, reducing five current ministries, and eliminating two current ministries. The new tithe budget will be presented to the Executive Board for approval. It was suggested to review the tithe budget annually in the future.
Live Well: Courtney reported on the Live Well Community Event planning session. The GIVE Commission is asking the GO Commission to assist with the follow-up to participating community organizations. The GO Commission will also help participating organizations with set-up the day of the event, March 2, 2019, at Wyatt Rd. Campus. The event will be held from 9am-3pm.
Special Allocated Funds: Carol reported that GO Commission ideas for funding ministries, if extra funds become available, were shared with the Executive Board, follow-up back to GO Commission after next Executive Board meeting. It is possible that the Live Well committee might also request funding assistance from a portion of these funds.
Operation Christmas Child: The GO Commission’s role this year with this ministry will be limited to publicizing through church communications and collecting filled boxes from Timothy members on Nov. 17-18.
Next GO Commission meeting will be Monday, Nov. 26, 6pm, Room 1101, Wyatt Rd. Campus.
From GIVE Commission—Pam Sbisa, Commission Leader
The Oct. 29 GIVE Commission meeting was cancelled. Below is Nancy Nowiszewski’s monthly Care Minister report.
Care Ministry Report for October 2018:
- Compassionate Care The mom continues to seek full-time employment; Pam Dennis has offered to help provide leads in her preferred area. A sofa was recently donated by the Hatfields, so the living room furniture is now complete. The landlord continues to provide maintenance support as needed.
- Hillcrest 18th Annual Gala/Auction was held on Oct. 18 at the Arrowhead North Club. Eight tickets were purchased for the Timothy table. Pam & Dan Sbisa organized information tables for ticket sales & baskets. Ten baskets were donated from Timothy.
- DivorceCare and GriefShare are offering Surviving the Holidays on Nov. 3 (GriefShare) and Nov. 5 (DivorceCare). The current GriefShare programs runs through Nov. and will begin again on Jan. 17 (first and third Thursdays).
- Congregational Care Ministry: Commissioning of first class of CCMs will occur during the 6pm worship service on Nov. 3. Six members completed the training and are getting connected with service areas: Betty Ekey, Janna Huddleston, Janel Schild, Stephen Schild, Jeff Durnell and Pam Lund. The next class will be held from 2-4pm on Tuesdays, Jan. 8, 15, 22 & 29.
- Cancer Companions: This new group meets on the first & third Wednesdays at Wyatt Rd. Campus from 6:30-8pm. Facilitators are David Escobar & Esther Maxwell. Two people coping with cancer and five caregivers attend.
- Live Well Community Event: The first planning session was held on Sept. 24 with representatives from all four commissions. We will be able to host up to 50 organizations/groups in the gym at the Wyatt Rd. Campus on March 2, 2019, from 9am-3pm. Letters of invitation were mailed to selected organizations on Oct. 25; so far, four organizations have indicated they will attend. Organizations were asked to reply by Nov. 15. Additional invitations will be mailed Nov. 5.
- Giving Tree: Names of families to adopt for Christmas are being gathered with Giving Trees going up Nov. 21; we will include 40 gifts for Our Redeemer in Kansas City which must be returned by Dec. 6 to be available for the Dec. 8 party at Our Redeemer. In addition, we will adopt 40 children/adults through the Community Services League and 40 through Hillcrest Transitional Housing as well as families from the community and our members.
- Tithe: Esther and Nancy attended the Tithe Committee meeting on Oct. 29. New missions receiving funds based on the monthly title include Heit’s Point, LAMP (mission in Canada), Mission Central (based in Mapleton, IA), and Shepherd of the Hills (Haiti mission). A complete list of missions is available through Pastor Rod or Nancy.
- Other: Offering envelopes & special offering magnets will be available beginning Nov. 21; Women of Hope prayer breakfast will be Dec. 1; Journey to the Manger will be Dec. 8-9; will be taking applications for the next Stephen Ministry training class (classes begin in Feb.).
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Nov. 3-4—All Saints Weekend, all services
Nov. 3-4—LWML Nut & Candy Pre-order Sales, lobbies at both campuses
Nov. 6—Call Committee meeting, 6:30pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 8—JourneyMen Taking the Lead event, 6:30-8:30pm, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 10—School Ministries Gala/Auction, 6-10pm, Adams Pointe Conference Center, Blue Springs
Nov. 10-11-Dec. 8-9—LWML Nut & Candy Sale, both campuses, before & after services
Nov. 11—New Member Welcome
Nov. 11—Middle School “Trick or Treat for WHAT??” 4:30-7:30pm
Nov. 12—Executive Board meeting, 6pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 13—Elected Elders meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 14-15—R.D. Mize Campus ECC Chapel, 9:45am
Nov. 17—Habitat for Humanity work day, 8am-3:30pm
Nov. 21—Deadline to submit Annual Reports for Voters’ Meeting
Nov. 21—Giving Trees up at both campuses
Nov. 21—Thanksgiving Eve services, 4 & 6:30pm, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 26—GO Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 1101, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Nov. 26—GROW Commission meeting, 7pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 26—GIVE Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 302, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 30—ENGAGE Worship & Praise Concert, 7-8pm, Auditorium, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Dec. 1—Women of Hope Annual Prayer Breakfast, 9:30-11am, Fellowship Hall, R.D. Mize Campus
Dec. 5, 12, 19—Advent Services, 4 & 6:30pm, R.D. Mize Campus
Dec. 8-9—Journey to the Manger, all services
Dec. 9—Annual Voters’ Meeting, noon, Auditorium, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Dec. 10—R.D. Mize Campus ECC Chapel, 9:45am