Vol. 4 No. 30 August 3, 2018
The purpose of Ministry Matters is to provide an opportunity for the leaders of Timothy to share what is happening in their ministry areas. Each Friday, Ministry Matters is emailed to Timothy’s executive board, elders, staff, commission leaders and other lay leaders. If you wish to include something, please email it to Diane Mayfield (email@example.com) by 8am Thursday. Feel free to share this document as you wish.
Attention Lay Leaders: The Lay Leadership Retreat, originally scheduled for Sat., Aug. 11, 2018, is rescheduled for Sat., Jan. 26, 2019. More details to follow. Please mark your calendars!
From GROW Commission—Mary Low, Secretary
GROW Commission met on July 23 with Pastor John, Jacob Gorrow, Richard Pirch, Mary Reed and Mary Low attending. Mary Reed opened the meeting with prayer.
Middle School Ministry: Amber Davies was the guest speaker, sharing news about the Middle School Youth Group, which meets at least monthly for a mixture of service activities and fun around the community. Attendance ranges from 3-23 youth, depending on the event. Amber shared a “tentative” schedule of activities through December and goals as the Middle School Youth Group moves forward.
- Confirmation Prayer Pals: The commission agreed that advertising or prayer pals needs to begin the first weekend in August in order to secure enough volunteers. Revised guidelines for this program will be finalized soon.
- Children’s Ministry:
- Backpack Blessing for all students will be weekend of Aug. 11 & 12.
- Kindergarten Blessing will be the weekend of Sept. 8 & 9.
- Signup for Crosswalk will begin last weekend in July.
- Faith Roots will be offered at BOTH services at R. D. Mize campus. Miriam needs a few more volunteers. The change will begin the weekend of Sept. 8 & 9.
- Confirmation: Pastor John continues to develop videos and discussion tools for the revised curriculum starting this fall. Parent meeting for Confirmation will be Aug. 22. Classes begin Aug. 29.
- Senior High Youth:
- National Youth Gathering: Pastor John will lead a meeting on July 29 for interested attendees, 11:30am at Wyatt Rd. campus. Fundraising options will be a major agenda item.
- ADULT LEADERS NEEEDED: Ryan Kuecker shared that there is a GREAT need for additional adult leaders to work with the Senior High Youth. Our team intends to set up a meeting for all interested adults in the near future. From this group, a “Youth Cabinet” will hopefully be established to support our senior high youth.
- R. Wiles Memorial Fishing Derby: This Saturday, July 28. Jacob shared details about this event.
- Jacob shared an “idea” that was brought to his attention recently: Quarterly Potlucks to increase fellowship among members & friends. The potluck celebrating the Steensma family was a huge success, and several church members expressed an interest in offering potlucks more often. No action was needed about this item at this time.
- Movie Night: Pastor John shared that I Can Only Imagine will be shown on August 25 at the Wyatt Rd. Campus, sponsored by JourneyMen and Women of Hope. Food will be served at 5:30pm with movie scheduled to begin at 6pm.
Next commission meeting will be Aug. 27, 7pm, Room 102, R.D. Mize Campus. The meeting was closed with prayer.
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Aug. 2-4—School Ministries Annual Rummage Sale, 8am-6pm, Sat. 8am-noon, Family Life Center, R.D. Mize Campus
Aug. 5—Commission of Call Committee, 9:45am, R.D. Mize Campus
Aug. 11-12—Backpack Blessing, all services
Aug. 13—TLS New Student Social, 7pm, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 14—Joint Executive Board/School Board meeting, 6:30pm, Room 1101, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 15—Get Connected deadline for Sept., Oct., Nov. events
Aug. 20—TLS Back-to-School Night, 6:30pm, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 20—ECC Open House, Wyatt Rd. Campus, 7pm
Aug. 20—GIVE Commission meeting, 6pm, Fireplace Room, R.D. Mize Rd. Campus
Aug. 20—GO Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 1101, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 21—TLS First Day of School, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 22—Confirmation Parent Meeting, 6:30pm, Sanctuary, R.D. Mize Campus
Aug. 23—ECC Open House, R.D. Mize Campus, 7pm
Aug. 25—JourneyMen/WOH movie night, 5:30pm pizza, 6pm movie, Wyatt Rd. Campus
Aug. 27—ECC Part-time Preschool First Day, R.D. Mize Campus
Aug. 27—GROW Commission meeting, 7pm, Room 102, R.D. Mize Campus
Aug. 29—Confirmation begins, 6:30-7:30pm, R.D. Mize Campus
Sept. 5—CrossWalk begins, 6:30-7:30pm, R.D. Mize Campus
Sept. 8—Women of Hope Friends Café, 9:30-11am, Epic Church, Independence
Sept. 8-9—Kindergarten Blessing, all services
Sept. 14-16—Blue Springs Fall Fun Fest (steak burger booth), Downtown Blue Springs
Sept. 15—Celebrate deadline for events in July, Aug., Sept.
Sept. 24—Live Well Planning Session, 6pm, Fireplace Room, R.D. Mize Campus
Nov. 10—School Ministries Gala/Auction, 6-10pm, Adams Pointe Conference Center, Blue Springs