Vol. 4 No. 22 June 8, 2018
The purpose of Ministry Matters is to provide an opportunity for the leaders of Timothy to share what is happening in their ministry areas. Each Friday, Ministry Matters is emailed to Timothy’s executive board, elders, staff, commission leaders and other lay leaders. If you wish to include something, please email it to Diane Mayfield (email@example.com) by 8am Thursday. Feel free to share this document as you wish.
From Pastor Steensma, Senior Pastor—June Report
- Worship themes are set for the summer: June (Rejuvenate), July (Life’s Lessons) and August (Great Stories).
- New members joining Timothy at the conclusion of current Discovery Class will be welcomed this weekend, June 9-10.
- This month, ministry and church staff will begin study of an amazing book called Who Broke My Church? by Kent Hunter. Discussions about the various chapters will occur at staff meetings throughout the summer.
- MO District Convention: The tri-annual MO District Convention will be June 10-12 in Columbia, MO. Gary Flandermeyer is Timothy’s lay delegate. I will join the convention as a pastoral delegate upon my return on June 10 from visiting the staff and leaders of Messiah Lutheran Church in Mounds View, MN. Information regarding the issues to be discussed and voted on at the convention are available on the Missouri District website: mo.lcms.org
- Leadership Retreat: Dr. Darrell Zimmerman of Grace Place Lutheran Wellness Ministries will be with us August 9-12. He will lead our Staff Retreat on Thursday, Aug. 9 as well as our Leadership Retreat on Friday, Aug. 10 from 7-9pm and Saturday, Aug. 11 from 8:30am-2:30pm in the Fellowship Hall, North Campus. Mark your calendars! All elected leaders are invited and encouraged to attend both the Friday and Saturday sessions. Pastor Zimmerman will also preach in all services that weekend.
- 2018-2019 Confirmation: Pastor John is developing a new curriculum around the concept of “flipping the classroom.” Students will view video lessons prior to class each Wednesday and submit questions prior to class. During class on Wednesday evenings, all three grades will meet together to further discuss and answer questions about the lesson. Students will continue to meet with small groups before end of class each week.
- Divine Call: Kate and I are traveling to Minnesota this weekend to meet with staff and leadership at Messiah Lutheran Church in Mounds View. We welcome and appreciate your prayers for our family, our Timothy family and the Messiah family as we seek God’s will here on earth.
Upcoming Dates to Remember
June 9—Friends Café, 9:30-11am, Epic Church Coffee Shop, Independence
June 9-10—Middle School Ministry Lock-in, 6:45pm Sat-7am Sun, both campuses & offsite
June 10—School Board meeting, 11:45am, Room 1101, South Campus
June 10-12—MO District Convention, Columbia, MO
June 13—Women of Hope Wine Wednesday, 6-9pm, Colonial Gardens, Wyatt Rd., Blue Springs
June 15—Celebrate deadline for activities in April, May, June
June 18—GIVE Commission meeting, 6pm, Fireplace Room, North Campus
June 24—Middle School Ministry Paddle Boats/Canoes, 11:45am-2pm, Legacy Park, Lee’s Summit
June 25—GROW Commission meeting, 7pm, Fireplace Room, North Campus
June 25—GO Commission meeting, 6pm, Room 1101, South Campus
July 15—VBS Kickoff Carnival, 4-5:30pm, North Campus
July 16-20—VBS Week, 9am-noon, North Campus
July 22—VBS Celebration Service, 10am, South Campus
July 28—2nd Annual J.R. Wiles Memorial Kids Fishing Derby, James A. Reed ‘s Prairie Hollow Lake
July 29-31—Collection days for School Ministries Rummage Sale, 7am-7pm, Family Life Center, North Campus
July 29-Aug. 1—Set-up days for School Ministries Rummage Sale, 7am-7pm, Family Life Center, North Campus
Aug. 2-4—School Ministries Rummage Sale, 8am-6pm, Sat. 8am-noon, Family Life Center, North Campus
Aug. 10-11—Leadership Retreat with Rev. Dr. Darrell Zimmermann, Fri 7-9pm & Sat 8:30am-2:30pm, Fellowship Hall, North Campus
Aug. 13—TLS New Student Orientation, 7pm, South Campus
Aug. 20—TLS Back-to-School Night, 6:30pm, South Campus
Aug. 21—TLS First Day of School, South Campus
Aug. 23—ECC Open House
Aug. 27—Part-time Preschool First Day of School
Nov. 10—School Ministries Auction/Gala, 6-10pm, Adams Pointe Conference Center, Blue Springs